Fancy an eco-responsible and ethical wardrobe but you don’t know where to start? Are you afraid of greenwashing? Is this t-shirt really made of organic cotton? What is GOTS certification? Discover the advice of Fairytale.eco, an ethical and ecological fashion E-shop for women to buy a truly organic organic t-shirt !
As you probably know, the textile industry is one of the most polluting on the planet and for good reason: an overproduction of clothes made from fabrics harmful to humans and the environment; cotton is today one of the most used materials in the world of fast fashion.
What are the differences between the cultivation of a traditional cotton t-shirt and that of an organic cotton t-shirt?
The environmental impact of a conventional cotton T-shirt
The cultivation of traditional cotton requires a large use of pesticides and toxic products: it accounts for almost 25% of all insecticides used in world agriculture. In addition, the cotton plant is an extremely fragile plant that needs a lot of water. To give you an example: to grow a conventional cotton T-shirt, around 2,700 liters of water are needed , or around 70 showers!
The cotton processing step is also problematic as heavy metals are used for bleaching and dyeing cotton . These products are harmful to your skin and dangerous to the workers who use them. One more reason to urgently adopt organic cotton t-shirts in our wardrobe! ?
The organic cotton T-shirt, an ecological and alternative solution
Organic cotton is grown with natural compost, which oxygenates the earth and thus preserves biodiversity and the surrounding ecosystems. The natural fertilizers used do not deplete the soil, which allows water consumption to be halved compared to conventional cotton cultivation.
This organic cotton will be bleached with hydrogen peroxide, without chlorine or other toxic substances. The transformation of organic cotton therefore preserves the health of workers by giving them better working conditions.
The advantages of an organic cotton t-shirt are therefore greener, more responsible and more ethical production!
Does organic cotton only have advantages?
Choosing an organic cotton t-shirt is a first step forward for more responsible fashion. As we have just seen, organic cotton is far less polluting than traditional cotton; but this is not a miracle solution to preserve our planet either. What are his limits ?
- Its CO2 impact : Organic cotton cannot grow anywhere. It needs a hot, dry climate that you can’t find in Europe. Whether it is processed on site or not, its transport represents a significant CO2 emission.
- Its water consumption : Even if the water consumption of an organic cotton t-shirt is much less than that of a traditional cotton t-shirt, organic cotton remains a water-intensive plant.
However, we remind you, its advantages are still numerous:
- A culture more respectful of the planet
- The absence of pesticides and toxic products in its production
- The absence of risks to our health and that of textile workers
- Less water consumption
How can I be sure that my organic cotton T-shirt is really organic?
“Organic cotton” clothes are more and more present in stores. But how can we be sure that certain brands do not take advantage of this trend? How to be sure not to fall into the trap of greenwashing? Total transparency on the composition of your product as well as on its production chain is essential. Before making your purchase, you can check the label of your product to see if any labels are affixed.
Organic labels: a real guarantee to make your purchase with your eyes closed
To buy your organic t-shirt with peace of mind, there are several certifications to label your organic cotton. Here are the four most recognized and trusted in the ethical and ecological fashion industry:
- The GOTS Label : A GOTS certified “organic” garment contains at least 95% organic fibers. It imposes a reduction in the consumption of water and energy during the various stages of production. This label is today the most comprehensive on the ethical fashion market. It ensures that no toxic substance is used from the cultivation of cotton to the manufacture of the product. It is THE reference label.
- Fairtrade cotton : this label guarantees that the cultivation of organic cotton has been carried out without toxic substances and without GMOs. However, it only applies to its cultivation and not to the processing of cotton (unlike the GOTS label). This Fairtrade cotton certification financially supports communities of farmers and workers.
- The OSC 100 label : The Organic Content Standard label, also called OCS, certifies the presence of organic materials for products comprising at least 5% natural materials. It checks the presence and percentage of organic materials in the final product and tracks the flow of raw materials from origin to the finished product.
- Oeko-Tex : This label concerns the dyeing of your cotton, it will assure you that your t-shirt does not contain chemicals and toxic products that can be harmful to your health and our environment at all. The Oeko-Tex label only validates the final stage of its transformation.
Buying organic cotton clothing is already a big step forward for fairer and more eco-responsible fashion. To ensure what is in your new shirt, these labels exist and you donnentdonne sure that your wardrobe is environmentally responsible.
Now you have the key information to decipher the label for your next responsible purchase. If you are still not sure of yourself, specialized E-shops exist: these select uniquely eco-responsible and ethical clothing for you . For example, at fairytale.eco, a large collection of certified and ethical organic t-shirts is available. This ecological fashion E-shop for women allows you to buy your future organic t-shirt with your eyes closed without asking any questions!